Choosing what you want to do for a career is never a simple decision, so the fact that you are reading this means you are taking the steps forward. Below you will find the required courses, continuing education classes we offer, the topics we cover in our Basic Massage Therapy program / Advanced Professional Massage Therapy diploma program as well as a basic look at the steps to completion of our program(s).
Let’s start the journey together.
Topics that are covered / required classes
For our Basic Massage Therapy program, it is a good program for beginners to build their foundational knowledge of massage therapy. The topics covered in the basic level program are:
- Physiology and Anatomy
- Techniques for Relaxation Massage
- Techniques for Therapeutic Massage
- How to provide an assessment and consultation of needs
- Body Charting
Now our Advanced Professional Massage Therapy diploma program is more in-depth and after completion, you receive professional designation as a licensed RMT in the province of Alberta.
Below are the required courses for Year One as well as Year Two.
Year One (1200 hours):
- Assessment/Ethics (250 hours)
- Modalities of Massage (120 hours)
- Breast and Lymphatic Drainage Massage (60 hours)
- Anatomy and Physiology (310 hours)
- Various Case Studies (150 hours)
- Exams (10 hours)
- Practicum (300 hours)
Year Two (1000 hours):
- Neuromuscular Therapy and Deep Tissue Massage (96 hours)
- Orthopedic Massage (96 hours)
- Sports Massage (96 hours)
- Pregnancy Massage (96 hours)
- Case Studies ( Deep Tissue, Orthopedic, Sports and Pregnancy Massage) (100hours)
- Exams (16 hours)
- Projects (200 hours)
- Practicum (300 hours)
Continuing Education Classes
In Alberta, once you become a licensed RMT, you are required to maintain your license by taking a minimum of 10 continuing education credits each year. Luckily for you, we offer five different classes and we will be potentially introducing two more.
The courses currently offered are:
- Meridian Pressure Points (10 credits)
- Hand Reflexology (20 credits)
- Ear and Face Reflexology (15 credits)
- Energy Balancing (15 credits)
- Foot Reflexology (15 credits)
Basic Steps of Completion for our programs
The first step to becoming a Registered Massage Therapist is deciding that this is a path you want to take.
Go online to our website and explore the different types of courses you can take!
Decide between starting with our Basic Massage Therapy program, which is 500 hours, or going right into the belly of the beast with our Advanced Professional Massage Therapy Diploma program that is 2200 hours. (Only our advanced program will give you the credentials to become an RMT in Alberta, but the basic program will let you apply those 500 hours towards the advanced one).
Ensure that you meet all of the admission requirements, and apply online
Once accepted, look at and apply for student funding, scholarships, or grants to help offset the price of your tuition.
Complete all required classes and the required 300-hour practicum.
Congratulations, you have completed the requirements to become an RMT (upon completion of the advanced program)
Maintain your credentials by ensuring you take a minimum of 10 credits each year after program completion to maintain your RMT licensing.
Help others heal with your hands. Register online for our Basic Massage Therapy program or our Advanced Professional Massage Therapy diploma program today.